Scenic beauty, world-class entertainment, delectable cuisine and amazing weather nearly year-round are just a few of the offerings awaiting visitors to Peoria, Arizona. With a host of child- and even some animal-friendly activities, visitors to the desert oasis will find ample activities to fill their itinerary and rejuvenate their soul. Here are the top ten essential activities to truly experience Peoria:
- Scorpion Bay at Lake Pleasant—The unparalleled beauty of Lake Pleasant with its desert surroundings is a treasure most visitors won’t soon forget. Couple this with high-octane watercraft, first-rate dining at Scorpion Bay Grill and other offerings such as paddleboard yoga and nearby hiking trails to calm both body and mind, and any vacation will be complete. Scorpion Bay offers rentals of all kinds to visitors and even has a general store so you don’t have to worry about lugging boating essentials with you. Be sure to check out the new double-decker party boats that can each accommodate parties of over 45 people—the perfect way to make a serious impression.
Location: 10970 Peninsula Blvd., Morristown
Accessibility: Dog and kid friendly
- Pioneer Park—Featured on the cover of the June/July 2017 issue of Raising Arizona Kids magazine, Pioneer Park is one of the most cherished treasures of the Peoria landscape. The 83-acre park features lighted ball fields, amazing playground equipment—including a splash pad to beat the Arizona summer heat—a fully-stocked fishing lake and even a dog park in which furry friends can frolic. This is a great place to bring a picnic lunch and enjoy the great outdoors.
Location: 83rd Ave. & Olive
Accessibility: Kid and dog friendly
- Arizona Broadway Theatre—The only year-round dinner theatre in the state, Arizona Broadway Theatre strives to provide guests the total entertainment experience. The venue showcases local and national talent to create outstanding musical theatre productions for its guests. Visitors also enjoy delicious, high-quality meals before the productions in its elegant restaurant atmosphere. This treasure is truly a sophisticated cultural experience right here in Peoria!
Address: 7701 W. Paradise Ln.
Accessibility: Children are welcome, parental guidance on show selection is suggested
- Peoria Sports Complex Spring Training Baseball—Winters in Arizona cannot be beat and one of the most memorable things to do in the comfortable Arizona weather is take in some games at the Peoria Sports Complex. Cactus League spring training home of the San Diego Padres and the Seattle Mariners, the complex hosts fans from all over the country who flock here to enjoy the great American sport. Be sure to check out the new Peoria Cove, a costal-themed playground and splash park for kids. Adults will enjoy the “Craft Courtyard” featuring microbrews from Arizona, California and the Pacific Northwest.
Web address: peoriasportscomplex.com
Box Office: 623.773.8720
Accessibility: Kids are welcome
- Quintero Golf Course—Ranked #1 Best Public Golf Course in 2016 by both Golf Weekly and Golf Digest magazines and ranked #1 in Arizona by Golf Advisor, Quintero Golf & Country Club is a must-play course for golf enthusiasts. Designed by master golf course architect Rees Jones, Quintero offers players the perfect balance of seclusion in the lush Arizona desert, strategic bunker placement and generous landing areas. It tests players at every level of proficiency in the game and its pristine lush desert ambience is sure to please even the pickiest of golfers.
Address: 16752 W. State Route 74
- P83 Entertainment District—Featuring everything from multiple restaurants of all types, a movie theater, trampoline park, ice skating rink and even Modern Round, a virtual shooting entertainment concept, P83 is where it’s at! Visitors can nosh on Mexican Fare at Revolu or cocktails at Salty Seniorita, sushi from Headquarters or deep-dish pizza from Giordano’s. Even kid-friendly finds such as Chik-fil-A and Red Robin provide visitors everything they need to make their whole party satisfied.
Location: Just south of Bell Road on 83rd Avenue
Accessibility: Kids are welcome
- Cibola Vista Resort & Spa—Offering luxury accommodations for adults and families nearby the booming Lake Pleasant area, Cibola provides resort luxury at its finest. Featuring beautiful rooms along with pristine pools, including water slides, there is truly something for everyone. In addition to a world-class spa, guests of the resort will be able to refresh their minds and bodies with the enchanting courtyards, fountains, Kivas and gardens prevalent within its grounds. Check out some of the extra activities available to guests such as pony rides for kids. Cibola also offers western photos, horseback rides, hot air balloon rides and water activities at nearby Lake Pleasant for additional fees.
Address: 27501 N. Lake Pleasant Parkway
Accommodations: Kids are welcome, service animals only
- Peoria Center for the Performing Arts—This 250-seat theater that opened in 2006 is located in the historic Old Town Peoria. The $13 million modern designed theater is operated by the award-winning, nonprofit theater company Theater Works, and draws more than 130,000 patrons yearly with its comprehensive programming. The Center was named Arizona Foothills Magazine’s Best of our Valley 2017 and its patrons are sure to be pleased by its artistic offerings!
Address: 10580 N. 83rd Dr.
Accommodations: Kids welcome. Parental discretion advised for show selection.
- Historic Old Town—The City of Peoria’s origins officially date back to the 1880s, but visitors may not realize that its history goes back to the beginnings of human inhabitants. Native Americans travelled along what is now known as New River settling in the area for its agricultural opportunities. Old Town Peoria features many historic buildings, creative and symbolic artwork and informative museums for history junkies to enjoy. Don’t miss Peoria’s self-guided Peoria Public Art Tour and be sure to check out Lucidi Distilling Company, located in the Historic Fire Station No. 1. Distillery tours are available for a fee and come with samplings of spirits and a custom-made cocktail.
- Peoria Arizona Historical Society, 10304 N. 83rd Ave., 623.487.8030
- Lucidi Distilling Company, 8307 W. Washington St., 623.299.8791
Accommodations: Kids welcome in Old Town. Tour & alcohol for adults 21 and older.
- Park West—Featuring over 30 restaurants and shops, Park West is the leading lifestyle shopping center in Peoria. Located just minutes from the Arizona Cardinals football stadium and the Tanger Outlets along with the Westgate Entertainment District, it’s the perfect place to pick up some essentials, munch on some delicious fare and after a rigorous day of shopping, treat yourselves to a movie at the family owned and operated Harkins Theatres!
Address: 9744 W. Northern Ave.
Accommodations: Kids welcome
Scorpion Bay is Arizona’s premier floating playground, offering everything from daily pontoon and ski boat rentals to slips for harboring your yacht (or dinghy). Come for the fishing or come for the frolicking—either way, incredible mountain views, fantastic dining and world-class marina services await less than an hour out of Phoenix. https://www.scorpionbayaz.com/