1. Buy a canine life jacketHave your dog wear a well-fitting canine life jacket, available in most boating stores and pet shops. Although your dog may be a good swimmer, high waves or fatigue can cause trouble, so don’t risk it.
2. Discourage drinking from the lake or oceanBodies of water can often contain organisms harmful to your pet, so never allow your dog to drink water from a lake or ocean. Take fresh drinking water with you and make sure it’s available at all times. A day on the water on a hot day can cause your pet to become dehydrated, so encourage fresh water drinking.
3. SunscreenJust as humans need sunscreen to protect their skin from harmful rays, so do dogs, especially short-haired breeds. Use a light SPF sunscreen such as SPF-15 on your dog. Make sure it’s unscented to avoid irritation.
4. Doggie waste bagsBe sure to take plenty of training pads, doggie waste bags and paper towels for when it’s time to go. Train your dog to use the activated carbon pads to make the clean-up easier. The pads have an attractant so your dog knows where to go. Toss it away when you get back to land.
5. Bring a first-aid kit.Make sure you have a stocked first aid kit on your boat. Bring antibiotic ointment for minor scrapes, and of a good supply of any medications your dog may be on.
6. Visit the boat with your pet prior to your tripTake time to let your pet get acquainted with the boat before going out on the water. Allow your dog to visit the boat while at the dock so he can get used to his surroundings in a safe, secure environment with no movement.
7. Keep your dog’s first outing shortIt won’t take long for your pet to adjust to the ship’s movement, but it’s best to make it a short trip if it’s your pet’s first time out. Take these tips into consideration and make the most of your time on the water with your best pal! A safe and prepared environment will ensure a pleasant boating experience for all.
Scorpion Bay is Arizona’s premier floating playground, offering everything from daily pontoon and ski boat rentals to slips for harboring your yacht (or dinghy). Come for the fishing or come for the frolicking—either way, incredible mountain views, fantastic dining and world-class marina services await less than an hour out of Phoenix. https://www.scorpionbayaz.com/