Ready for a day of adventure on a jet ski exploring Lake Pleasant? You’ll get the most out of your day if you follow a few basic safety rules. Even if you don’t have prior experience, these safety regulations will ensure a safe day on the water.
Most important, always wear a lifejacket, stay sober and stay 100 feet back from other boaters, and never trail, or jump the wake of someone pulling a tube, wakeboarder, etc.
Rules to remember before you hit the water:
- Wear an approved personal flotation device (PFD) life jacket, life preserver or life vest - and keep it secured the entire time you are on your jet ski, even if you are an adept swimmer.
- Attach a whistle to your life vest to summon help or alert other boat traffic.
- Never operate a Jet Ski without a lanyard attached to you. It cuts engine if you fall off.
- Stay alert and keep a lookout for other boats. Stay 100 ft away from other vessels—never try to jump the wake of a boat towing a rider, tuber, boarder, etc.
- If someone is waving an orange flag, they have someone in the water. Give them plenty of room to operate.
- Do not operate a jet ski if you have been drinking, recently taken medication that makes you drowsy, or ingested anything else that would impair your judgement or response time.
- Know the waters you are operating in so you can avoid shorelines and remember Lake Pleasant water levels fluctuate, with the lowest levels in summer.
- Know all jet ski safety features. It’s vital that you know safety features and their purpose so you can use them in case of an emergency.
- Operate in a controlled and safe manner. Adults have had fatal accidents on jet skis in Arizona lakes, some because they did not keep their lifejacket on, or an impairment has also been a factor. Stay cautious and conservative when driving so you can return home safely.
- Don’t ride at night with pitch-black waters is more dangerous than during the day.
- Don’t ride alone. If you do, let someone know where you are planning to go and when you expect to return.
Follow these tips and you’ll enjoy a day of safety and fun on your jet ski outing!
Scorpion Bay is Arizona’s premier floating playground, offering everything from daily pontoon and ski boat rentals to slips for harboring your yacht (or dinghy). Come for the fishing or come for the frolicking—either way, incredible mountain views, fantastic dining and world-class marina services await less than an hour out of Phoenix. https://www.scorpionbayaz.com/