The fall months are a great time to be on the water at Lake Pleasant. The extreme summer temperatures have subsided and so have the crowds. That said, fall and winter weather tends to be windier, so you’ll always want to check the forecast to make sure you aren’t battling strong winds on the water. To make your time on the lake enjoyable and convenient, Scorpion Bay Marina offers personal watercraft including kayaks, paddleboards and jet skis for those who want to enjoy the serenity of the lake without the hassle of hauling their own gear. Additionally there are boat rentals, floating cabins and charter boat rentals all through the fall.
Kayaking provides both exercise and relaxation and is also a great way to spend time exploring nature from a new point of view. At Scorpion Bay Marina you can rent kayaks to enjoy the open water in the morning or afternoon. Here are some tips to make your rental experience simple and efficient:
- Make a reservation before heading out to the Marina. On the day of your reservation, take the I-17 N and AZ-74 W to N Castle Hot Springs Rd in Peoria. From there take Peninsula Rd. to your destination. Once you arrive at Scorpion Bay, you will take the stairs or tram down to the dock where you’ll find the rental building. Whomever made the reservation will need to provide their driver’s license and form of payment.
- The kayak comfortably fits a single or double rider. It’s a 16’ Malibu XL kayak that has room for a small collapsible, cooler/lunch tote, and all safety gear provided. You can bring a personal item if you would like to take pictures on the water, snacks, and any other necessities you may need.
- Lifejackets are provided free of charge, keep it on and buckled the entire time to ensure your safety.
- Bring a friend with you and share your plan with someone who is not going with you. Let them know where you plan to paddle and when you should be back.
- Kayaking is meant to be fun and relaxing. Paddle around while observing the beautiful nature, wildlife, and lake activities. Stop for a moment and lean back and gaze at the gorgeous sky above and the stillness of the water. Have fun and be safe on your Scorpion Bay Marina Kayak Rentals.
If you feel the need for speed, maybe a Jet Ski rental is a better choice. Jet ski rentals are available year-round from Pleasant Water Sports, our trusted jet ski rental vendor at Scorpion Bay Marina. In addition to rentals, we also offer guided jet ski tours where you can learn about the Sonoran Desert and the unique history of Lake Pleasant.
Before you go:
- Make a Reservation (not required but recommended) Renters must be at least 18 years of age with a valid driver’s license and credit/debit card. Anyone operating a Jet Ski needs to be at least 12 years old. Passengers can be any age, as long as a parent/guardian has signed a liability waiver.
- Arrive early, hydrate, park and take the tram down to the small Jet Ski rental building. You can grab snacks at the Scorpion Bay General Store before and after your rentals, but also hydrate and fuel up before you arrive.
- Before heading out on the water, you'll watch a safety video, and Pleasant Water Sports team members will show you the map, water hazards as well as explain the safety markings and buoys.
Four rental options are available: one-hour, two-hour, half day or full day. Current rate information can be found here.
Jet Ski Safety at Scorpion Bay
The safety of our guests is our top priority. Everyone on the water should always wear a lifejacket. In addition, Jet Ski operators should stay sober and stay 100 feet back from other boaters. Never trail or jump the wake of someone pulling a tube, wakeboarder, or water-skier.
Other rules to remember before you hit the water:
- Attach a whistle to your life vest to summon help or alert other boat traffic.
- Never operate a Jet Ski without a lanyard attached to you, it cuts the engine if you fall off.
- Stay alert and keep an eye out for other boats. Stay 100 ft away from other vessels and never try to jump the wake of a boat towing a rider, tuber, border, etc.
- If someone is waving an orange flag, they have someone in the water. Give them plenty of room to operate.
- Never operate a jet ski if you’ve been drinking, recently taken medication that makes you drowsy, or ingested anything that would impair your judgment or response time.
- Know the waters you are operating in so you can avoid shorelines and remember, Lake Pleasant water levels fluctuate, with the lowest levels in summer.
- Know all jet ski safety features. It’s vital that you know safety features and their purpose so you can use them in case of an emergency.
- Operate in a controlled and safe manner. Deadly Jet Ski related accidents have occurred on Arizona lakes, some due to impairment and others because riders were not wearing life jackets.
- Don’t ride at night. With pitch-black waters it is more dangerous than during the day.
- Don’t ride alone. If you do, let someone know where you are planning to go and when you expect to return.
Follow these tips and you’ll enjoy a day of safety and fun on your kayak or jet ski outing!
Scorpion Bay is Arizona’s premier floating playground, offering everything from daily pontoon and ski boat rentals to slips for harboring your yacht (or dinghy). Come for the fishing or come for the frolicking—either way, incredible mountain views, fantastic dining and world-class marina services await less than an hour out of Phoenix. https://www.scorpionbayaz.com/